Week of June 24th
Your Legal Resume
This week is all about getting a jump start on your legal resume. You read that right, your legal resume. The beginning of the semester will be very busy and the Career Development Office (CDO) wants you to be able to focus on your studies but not be behind the ball when time comes to start applying for clerkships, internships, etc. To get started, read the attached letter from the Career Development Team. They are excited for you to draft your first legal resume and submit it for their review!
Resume Writing Resources
Drafting your first legal resume can be a challenge so the CDO has provided some great resources for you to use as you dive into this challenge! Need help? Check out the following:
- Review “Legal Resumes 101,” a Power Point presentation by the CDO’s Kala Mueller
- Legal Resume Power Point
- Watch “The Top 10 Legal Resume Mistakes,” a previously recorded Facebook Live event
Looking for Something to Read?
The College of Law’s Public Interest Programs Direction, Kala Mueller, is a regular contributor popular law school blogs “The Law School Toolbox” (hyperlink to https://lawschooltoolbox.com/welcome-to-the-law-school-toolbox/?GGside) as well as “The Girl’s Guide to Law School.” (hyperlink to https://thegirlsguidetolawschool.com/) If you are looking for some light reading about law school before you start law school, you should check out some of Kala’s articles. While she has written many, Kala recommends the articles below for entering law students:
- Getting a Jump Start on the 1L Summer Job Search
- Preparing for Your Legal Career: 10 Books to Read Before You Begin Law School
- Advice from the Trenches for Incoming 1Ls: On the Rigors of Law School
- Advice from the Trenches for Incoming 1Ls: On the Importance of Self-Care
- Advice from the Trenches for Incoming 1Ls: On Outlining and Exam Preparation